DS and Irritable Bowel

Sher Bear Mama
on 9/7/11 11:39 am
Hi all. I suffer GREATLY at times from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Today, is one of those really bad days.  I'm in a great deal of pain in my abdomen--it'll pass next time I go to the bathroom I'm sure.  The IBS tends to come when I'm upset or anxious about something.  Two things today: 1)I'm going to see the nurse practitioner to discuss preop blood tests, urine analysis, chest x-ray, and EKG. 2)My dad just told me that he's too busy with other comittments to help me out with the kids after surgery. I'm working on getting other help and I'm just going to go to the nurse practitioner and realize that it'll be what it'll be.

My question to you all is, does anyone know what the effects of the DS are (if any) on IBS? I know Bookfaerie had IBS and it went away after the DS but she could be an odd one.  If any of you have or had IBS, would you please chime in here? I'd hate to make things worse for myself, though I'm still getting the DS as long as I have the go-ahead from my surgeon.

Thanks,
Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

BBoop
on 9/7/11 11:50 am
With my first DS my stomach was so large I continued to have IBS and which was mostly horrible dirrehea.  I stopped taking mag citrate and that did help some.

Since having my stomach resleeved..zip almost zero IBS.  I believe it is the smaller amount of food or something.  Many people with pre op IBS have much less trouble with it post op.  I really don't know why but it does seem to go away.

I hope that is true for you.

B
Catnip
on 9/7/11 11:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I had IBS before and now it is gone!
I have gone from constantly having poo that were too soft to being constipated!

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

linda1814
on 9/7/11 12:29 pm
I had IBS that would especially flare up during stressful periods.  If I ate any of my trigger foods during a flare up, my transit time would be within 20 minutes of consumption (I used to be on a few medications to slow my digestive tract down).  It was painful and extremely exhausting.  What seemed to make it even more frustrating was that I couldn't figure out exactly would trigger me ... high fat foods and stuff that contains high fructose corn syrup were definites but sometimes I had no idea what set me off... I went through months where all I could tolerate was bananas and baked Lays potato chips.  I was miserable.  

I haven't had any issues like this anymore.  I still can't eat or drink anything with high fructose corn syrup and processed foods as well as foods containing gluten ... I don't suffer the way I did as a pre-op but these do cause me to bloat and get gassy.  It is not worth the discomfort.  But the discomfort is nothing in comparison to how I felt pre-op.

I was petrified that surgery might make my IBS worse but I knew the weight would kill me eventually and I knew the DS was the only surgery that I thought I could live with.  Life is a million times better.

Good luck and if you have any questions, please let me know.

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

* Gail R *
on 9/7/11 1:26 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
My IBS was pretty much resolved by the DS.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Lori F.
on 9/7/11 1:53 pm - Chula Vista, CA
This is AMAZING news! I actually thought my tummy problems would be worse after the DS. Now I have even MORE hope!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
J G.
on 9/7/11 3:15 pm
Yep, mine got better,  I used to be like you, it would get worse when I was anxious.  Diarrhea, not convenient.  Now I still sometimes go frequently but I pretty much know when it will be.  Makes life easier, for sure.
Sher Bear Mama
on 9/7/11 3:19 pm
Thanks for all of the great responses. It's very much appreciated.  I'm hoping that it does get better with surgery, but in the mealwhile, I may try some herbal methods to get it under control a bit.

:-)
Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

mrsannie
on 9/7/11 10:20 pm
Just a quick note about post-op help...  After surgery my husband was the only person able to help me as well.  Luckily he was able to work from home for a whole week, then the next week he sent the kids to school and went in late, so all I had to do was pick them up from the bus.  This was all after being in the hospital for 5 days (he's amazing, I know!)  My point is, that after surgery the recovery is long and sucks so you do need help with the kids especially if they are small. 

There is a website called Care.com, there is a fee, but I used it to get a sitter when I needed help.

Good luck!  :)

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Sher Bear Mama
on 9/8/11 1:36 am
mrsannie,
Thanks for the advice. I just found out that the month of my surgery (should be December) my dad will be more available and my in-laws are going to be home to help out.  Thank goodness! So, I feel a little better. I'm hoping we can shack up at the in-laws' house and let them care for the kids when my hubby goes back to work. He's taking a week of as well,   and then hoping to do shorter days for a week or two.  But with the 18 month old, it'll be challenging--no lifting into crib, carseat etc...no carrying her...getting her food, diaper changed...you get my drift.

Anyway, I'm working on it. I know that everyone's recovery is different. I've heard of people going back to work a week later! But more often I hear that the first 3 weeks are hell, then it gets better but not REALLY better until week 6. That's what I'm preparing for. I want to be realistic and then hopefully surprised.

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama